Saturday, January 19, 2008

Pressing On

I think sometimes, as Christians, we can become very complacent. We can be so proud and comfortable with where we are, and we don't really feel like giving the effort to change something. We grow lazy and hard-hearted, and don't want to step on anybody's toes. We believe that changing the world is an unreachable goal. We choose to shrink into the background, and as a result, our priorities get messed up. God becomes second in our lives; then third; then fourth . . . .


Let me rephrase slightly: I become complacent, proud, lazy, hard-hearted. My priorities are messed up. But I want to live for Christ with all my heart. I want to, but is that enough?


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."
Hebrews 12:1-3


I think what God has been teaching me lately is how to seek Him. Really, really seek Him. I want to live and not lose heart, as I so easily do. I want to live with an undying passion for my Savior!! But I've realized, as always, that I can't do it on my own. What a relief! When I fall, Jesus is always there with open arms to catch me! I know that He will teach me everything I need to know. And so, my quest to cease to be lukewarm continues. Some lessons are just harder than others to learn, I guess. This one has been hard for me. The song "Grey" by Barlowgirl comes to mind:


I cannot be blind no more,
Numb to what I'm living for
Help me stop this compromise that justifies these lies
I need your passion in this life


It's been hard, but I'm learning. Learning to be desperate for Jesus? Maybe.


"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God." Colossians 3:1


"I can do everything through him who gives me strength."
Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment